How to Make Money Delivering Newspapers
Business Idea for Kids & Teens
Years ago delivering the newspaper was THE way to make money as a youngster. It’s still a great option for your child and a fun, flexible way to make some money AND get exercise too!
The easiest way to find out about delivery jobs is for your child to just pick up the phone and start calling your local papers. Start with the one(s) you currently get and have him keep a list of questions handy when he calls. He’ll want to know:
1. Is a local route available (one within walking or bike riding distance)?
2. At what time do they require the papers to be delivered? Some newspapers expect them all to be on customers’ doors by 7am. Make sure you’re all clear on that expectation.
3. How will you receive the newspapers? What time and in what condition? Will your child need to fold and bag them before delivering and are the bags included every time?
4. How much does it pay?
5. Will he have the option to take additional routes if they become available?
6. Remember to ask, too, if the local route isn’t available, if he can get on the waiting list for that route for when it becomes available.
7. Will they allow him to deliver more than one publication at a time?
Once he has determined which papers he will be delivering it is important for him to deliver them on time and well. Provide customers with excellent customer service (go the extra mile by walking the papers up to the door rather than just throwing on the driveway, for instance) and often he will get tips in addition to the pay from the newspaper company.
Send an appreciation note to customers occasionally and when convenient, have your child stop and introduce himself to them and find out their needs so he can serve them better.
If your child is ready to branch out, he can take on additional routes if time/energy allows.
Have fun… when done well; the newspaper delivery business is fun and profitable!